All people are welcome at Center Point Public Library. Library patrons are expected to adhere to generally accepted rules of conduct. Problem behavior is any behavior that either consciously or unconsciously violates or restricts the rights of other and/or disrupts Library operations. Failure to adhere to the Library’s policy may result in loss of Library privileges or removal from the Library. Any illegal act or conduct in violation of federal, state, or local law, ordinance or regulation is not permitted. The following guidelines for behavior/use should be observed:
1. Disruptive behavior is prohibited. Any verbal abuse, sexual or general harassment, excessive noise (including loud personal or cellular conversation) or threatening gestures toward Library patrons or staff is prohibited.
2. Children age eight and under must be directly supervised by an adult (18 years and older) at all times. The authorities may be notified if children are left unattended.
3. Children may not be left in vehicles unattended. If a child is left in a vehicle unattended the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department will be notified immediately.
4. All groups of children must be accompanied by an adult supervisor (age 18 years and older) at all times.
5. The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of any child who is left unattended at the Library. Likewise, the Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of a child if the child leaves the Library.
6. Tobacco, alcohol, drugs and weapons are prohibited. Being under the influence of alcohol/illegal drugs and/or selling, using, or possessing alcohol/illegal drugs is prohibited on Library property.
7. In order to remain compliant to state laws and city ordinances, smoking, smokeless tobacco and the use of electronic cigarettes are prohibited anywhere on Library property.
8. Sleeping is not permitted on Library property. Sleeping and/or “camping” in the Library or on Library property is prohibited. For purposes of this policy, “camping” includes:
9. Center Point Public Library strives to create a welcoming, clean, and comfortable environment for the public. This policy is written with the intent to preserve library materials, computer equipment, and furnishings, and to maintain a pleasant and clean environment for patrons and staff. Since food and beverages can pose a risk to our resources, we ask that patrons act responsibly when eating and/or drinking in the Library.
Snacks such as chips, candy, protein bars, fruit, are permitted in all areas of the Library with the exception of the Computer Lab or any public computer work stations. Lidded beverages (coffee, bottled water, sodas and juice cups, glass and plastic beverage bottles and cans) are also permitted in all areas of the Library with the exception of the Computer Lab or any public computer work stations.
Full meals or “heavy” foods such as burgers, sandwiches, pizza, salads, soups, and “fast food” meals are not permitted in any interior area of the Library. Delivery of food to the Library is prohibited.
Exceptions to this policy in designated areas for special events only may be made with approval of the Library Director. Patrons should place beverage containers in trash cans after use to keep the Library free of spills and residue that can attract pests. If food or drink is spilled, patrons should contact a Library employee immediately.
10. Patrons are required to dress appropriately. Shirt and shoes are required.
11. Patrons must use library materials, equipment and facilities properly.
12. All materials must be checked out before leaving the building.
13. Service animals are the only animals allowed in the library.
14. Pets may not be left in vehicles unattended. If a pet is left in a vehicle for an extended amount of time, the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department will be notified.
15. Pets may not be left unattended outside the Library, even if leashed.
16. To ensure Library safety and security, Library officials may inspect all bags, briefcases, and similar items. Visitors may bring no more than one large and one personal item into the library.
17. Solicitation is prohibited at the Library and its premises.
18. Patrons must comply with the Library’s evacuation/disaster procedures.
19. Authorized entrances and exits must be used.
20. Patrons must adhere to the Library’s guidelines for computer use.
21. Patrons must comply with the Library’s parking rules. Patrons may not park in front of the Library’s entrance. Patrons may not park in a handicapped parking space without a handicapped placard in the windshield or a license plate attached to the bumper. Motorcycles, motorized scooters or similar large vehicles must use designated spaces and may not park on the sidewalk.
22. During the Library’s hours of operation, patrons may not interfere with or obstruct the free passage of other users or Library staff in or onto Library premises, including, but not limited to, placing objects such as skateboards, bicycles, furniture, easels, tripods, signage and/or leashed animals in public entry areas inside or outside of the Library where they may impede access. This includes any outside stairs, benches, tables, ramps and any covered areas outside of the building.
23. Library materials may not be taken into rest rooms.
24. Library users are prohibited from non-public areas. Library supervisors are authorized to evaluate problem situations and take appropriate action by either asking patrons to discontinue the behavior or leave the Library. Employees may also notify the authorities.
533 Sunhill Road Center Point, AL 35215205-536-7750